Monday, January 18, 2021

Design Wall Monday--Star of the Show

 It's Design Wall Monday.  See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

The situation of finished tops piled up on the corner of the cutting table having become untenable, I set about working on the smaller tops.  Star of the Show, a baby quilt from a British quilt magazine, Quilt Now, which I made last year, I intend to give to our daughter's friend.  


 I made a simple stripe backing out of the leftover fabrics, and decided to use the maker's "signature wavy diagonal lines".

Although the Silver Kona I used looks very yellow in this pic, I used a neutral gray thread and my walking foot to do the lines, just wiggling back and forth as I went.  Fun to quilt!  


 I was very pleased with the finished quilting, which took hardly any time at all.  I no longer use basting pins or spray baste since Dora Cary of Orange Dot Quilts came to our guild and showed how she layers, smooths and loosely folds the quilt sandwich, then sets it aside to rest for a short period before quilting.  It is such a time saver!  I do put one safety pin in each corner and recheck the layers periodically as I quilt. 

Having already made the binding, it went on immediately. 


The Silver Kona I again used for the binding. That green fabric is a hand-dyed Ricky Tims fabric I bought many years ago at one of his seminars--my sister and I had a great adventure going to Indiana for that.


The colors are a little truer in this daytime pic of the backing before quilting.  I'll get a label on it and give the quilt it's first bath before gifting.  Baby is due late this month, I believe. 

I quilted the Perkiomen Valley baby quilt the same way, but it still needs a binding.  This wavy diagonal quilting was so fun and easy!

I think it looks great with the straight lines of the blocks.  It has been over two years since our Ventura Modern Quilt Guild started making Perkiomen blocks and quilts for victims of the Thomas Fire and Montecito Mud/Flood disasters.  Recently there was a story about a cat that went missing in the disaster in Montecito and was recently found alive and well as a rescue cat!  Amazing and happy story!

8 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your baby quilts are very beautiful, and I love these curvy quilting lines!

Joyful Quilter said...

I really need to try that quilting technique. I love the look...I'd probably have to have a couple of glasses of wine first to make sure my lines were wavy. ;o) I'm going to google Dora Cary and Orange Dot Quilts to learn more about her laying method - I hate pinning.

Janet said...

The quilts look great...I'm sure the recipients will be thrilled with such a heartfelt and unique gift. Well done with the quilting 👍

Janet O. said...

Star of the Show looks like a great baby quilt to put together for a fun look without a huge time commitment (I know, there is no such thing as a "quick quilt"). The wavy line diagonal quilting is a nice finish. I am going to have to remember that.
Where has that cat been all this time?!?

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Great quilting~ I've never heard of that approach to layering before quilting on your DSM, but it makes good sense, and your results are fabulous! Well done on these two wonderful finishes.

Tanya said...

That is amazing that you can get such regular quilting without using basting needles or spray basting. I've never had much luck with the walking foot as it seemed like the quilt was always getting pulled too much and I ended up with puckering and pleats. You make me want to get out the walking foot again!

Barb said...

I love the waves, I just might have to try it...looks great as well as your baby quilt.

Kate said...

Star of the show turned out beautifully! And so did your baby version of Perkiomen Valley. You had a very productive last weekend.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...