Design Wall Monday--see more great creative endeavors on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.
Following my last post about tea-dyeing linen, having diluted my tea bath to about 1/4 strength, I cut off a big piece of the white linen, wet it and put it in the pot after reheating. However, it did not take up any of the tea color after an hour. Perhaps I didn't wring out the piece of linen well, or the tea bath did not have enough salt. So I dumped it out and started over Sunday morning with fresh water and three tea bags. I carefully wet and wrung out the white linen and left it in the tea for 20 minutes or so, checking periodically against the prior dyed strips. I rinsed it in plain water and then in the water/vinegar bath, plain water again, rolled it in a towel and then hung to dry. Finally I ironed it.
The white strip is the original linen, the smaller strip my first choice of tea-dyed test pieces, and the background the final. The gray background of my ironing board cover isn't showing the true color well, but you can see it is a little darker than the test strip, which is what I wanted.
I used some colored pencils to color most of the stitching chart. I may start with the House, as it is just below the center of the design. I kind of want to get the overlapping pattern area out of the way so I don't get confused! I used some red floss to mark the center lines of the linen vertically and horizontally, but am considering adding a couple more registration lines. It is a lot harder to count linen threads than Aida cloth! The raw edges need to be folded and stitched too, to keep from raveling, but I'm getting closer to playing with the yummy floss.
We had a long visit with our newest grandson. Dane, and our son and DIL on Saturday. Dane is just shy of 8 months and crawling everywhere, standing with help, and generally busy busy busy.
Proud Dada Nick with his charmer...
..and ever-attentive Mama Ashley helping him play and learn. He loved crawling up the carpeted stairs in our house.