Sunday, May 2, 2021

Stitching Weekend

I joined the Instagram Blackbird Designs weekend stitchalong and spent a number of lovely hours with needle and thread. All the bobbins were wound Friday and I studied the chart well. 


Although in looking around IG and blogs, I see that lots of people start their stitching with an outer border, I was taught to start in the middle of the design, and felt most comfortable with stitching the house first.  The star on the roof was first, actually, and then I worked on the roof a little, late into Saturday night.  


Sunday found me doing a bit of surgery for a mistake in the left edge of the roof, fortunately an easy fix.  The stars' outlines appeared as I continued on the roof, but when I filled in with the called for DMC color, the star disappeared.  More unpicking and restitching with one shade lighter...


Much better! A start on the tree there to the left was as far as I got.  I so enjoy working on the 28 count Cashel linen I tea-dyed, though it does warrant closer attention when counting threads for over two.  I'll next have time to stitch on my lunch hour--starting tomorrow we are all expected back in office seeing patients. 


I took this photo on the last day we all worked together before the shut down in March 2020. My doctor boss has been back in office for weeks already, as have many other staff.  I will have to dust off my nametag and leave home early to get the laptop set up, pick up my once weekly issued PPE and COVID screening monitor, and reclaim my COW (computer on wheels).  It has been 14+ months of working as a Scribe from home, and will be an adjustment to return to the real world--such as it is these days!  Our county is doing very well case-wise, and we hope to get to a less restrictive tier in the next two weeks.  The state is planning to open fully in mid June. Disneyland opened to California residents only on Friday, to very limited numbers of applicants.  Fingers crossed more people get vaccinated and cases don't go up again!  

4 comments:

Cherie in St Louis said...

Hey, I'm catching up on blog posts and thought it better to comment on a recent post. I wanted to pass on my condolences in the loss of your uncle. It sounds like he was a wonderful part of your family and I hope the celebration of life will be able to be held sooner rather than later. His navy hat was special to see. God Bless.

Janet O. said...

You almost make me want to dig out the two cross-stitch sampler patterns I saved from way back when and have told myself I will do eventually--almost. I never caught on well to stitching over 2 threads, but really love the look. Good for you, being able to master that.
Lovely shot from a year ago. It will be different to go back to "normal", if we can call it that. I wish you well in adjusting.

Sherrill said...

Ooo, I love the design you're stitching. And yes, I've always started in the middle as well. Just never have gotten the hang of the smaller thread counts so 18 ct. is about as small as it gets for me (and don't think my eyes would like the linen!!).

Tanya said...

Such a relief that California is opening up again. I think my son has decided that he prefers working from home and hopefully he'll be able to continue.

Your cross-stitch is going to be beautiful!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...