Monday, July 12, 2021

Design Wall Monday--Moda Love Pillow

 It's Design Wall Monday--see more Design Walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

I actually sewed something for the first time in weeks!  My mood being what it was, the untouched big projects on the cutting table remained where they were.  I dug into a box of smaller unfinished projects for something more attractive, and found a Moda Love pillow top I made last July from a mini charm pack. I pulled some choices for a backing and pawed through the leftover binding drawer for something suitable.


After sewing on some 2.5" borders to make the pillow to 16.5" square, I decided not to quilt the pillow front but ironed on some thin interfacing and stitched a few straight quilting lines by machine, just to hold the interfacing on, as the fusible wasn't very sticky. 

The mini charms, Bubble Pop by Sandy Klop, have a '30's-40's vibe, and I found this floral leftover binding that seemed to go well.  However, there was not enough to go all around the pillow top.  I pulled many different choices from stash but nothing really felt right until I tried this Pezzy Print, another Sandy Klop fabric, in black and white.  I wanted to use as much of the floral as I could, and positioned equal sections of the Pezzy Print in the corners only, trimming them to extend 3" from the corners. 

I attached the flower print sections one at a time as I made my way around the pillow sandwich with the walking foot...


...Stitched in the ditch by machine from the front to finish. I think it turned out well!  It needs a pillow form and then will be ready to brighten up a couch or chair.  I'll share another finish next post. 

6 comments:

julieQ said...

OH I just love it! So very pretty!!!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love, love, love this; you've found the perfect binding selection for all those reasons you mentioned. This pretty project is a day-bright spot for sure!

loulee said...

What a cute wee finish. That Pezzy print is perfect.

Sherrill said...

I LOVE it!! The binding looks perfect with the prints in the pillow top. Can't wait to see it with the form inside. I'm at a 'blah' point for the moment so know where you're coming from as far as quilting goes. ugh

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That's a great finish! I love scrappy quilts.

Tanya said...

Great binding! The black and white stripes really picked up the similar fabric in the star!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...