Thursday, July 1, 2021

June's Mixed Bag

Here we turning over a new calendar page.  I still have not sewn a thing in weeks, but did get some more mood boosting from family and fabric.  Our son and daughter-in-law spent the weekend with the tedious job of trudging up and down stairs at their apartment putting moving boxes in a truck. We were invited to help the other grandparents with watching baby Dane.   


Who could resist spending time with these chunky baby legs?  Dane's other grandparents took us out on their harbor cruiser.  

Dane enjoyed co-captain duties. 


The Grandpas enjoyed the scenery while he took the helm :)  It was a beautiful day with great conversation and play, and snacks!  I got to give Dane his bottle and put him down for a nap too. 

After donating blood on Tuesday, I went looking for rotary cutter blades.  Prices for these blades have soared incredibly.  I first tried Michael's in town, but they only sell Fiskar's brand, which I did not think worked in Omnigrid cutters, so a trip to JoAnn's was necessary.  I had a 40% off coupon but asked a salesperson if I could use it for the blades.  Happily, I could.  I also scored a nice remnant for 40% off. 

Part of this fabric pull has been waiting years to be turned into something.  I needed the larger blades to cut through the six layers for the magazine pattern saved along with the fabrics.


My plan is to make only six "crazy method" stars for a runner. The brown will be the spacers. 


The pattern is in this specialty publication...


...which I've held on to for 10 years!  Many times I've nearly put the fabrics back in stash.  I hope this will restart my sewing mojo. Meanwhile, slow stitching continues on the  BBD Loose Feathers #21, Garden of Life. 

I am barely going to have enough linen at the top and bottom of this stitchery!  Framing will be a challenge but I have some ideas and am not too worried.  There are many more hours of stitching time to enjoy yet :)

5 comments:

sandi s said...

I know you enjoyed your baby time! I do too. I have that magazine you shared, I keep them forever. I love your cross stitch, it’s moving along nicely. I’m working on a small patriotic design now. It won’t be done for the 4th, but that’s ok. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs,

Kate said...

Looks like a fun co-grandparenting day. I like your new project. Hope you've been able to get the fabrics cut and ready to stitch.

Joyful Quilter said...

Sometimes (at least for me) quilting can be like exercising...don't wanna do it but once I start it feels great. Hope your new start feels great, can't wait to see it, looks fun.

Janet O. said...

Love those chubby baby legs! :)
Dane looks like a capable Captain.
I really like the quilt you have planned. Looks Buggy Barn-esque. Hope it helps kick-start your mojo.
The cross-stitch is really progressing. Very good looking.

carol fun said...

First things first... what an adorable baby!! I love the squishyness of those chubby legs... Great projects you have going there... I stocked up on rotary blades and sewing machine needles a little while ago, but everything has gone up in price, hasn't it? I feel like I'm sitting on a gold mine with my stash... happy stitching!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...