Friday, December 31, 2021

Scrappy Play All Day

Happy last day of 2021!  This year was about as patchwork as it comes, with all the horrid national events, lockdowns, weather extremes, COVID virus and deaths, and extreme upheaval of normal life.  It was balanced with the joys of family, friends, and crafts.  I can always count on sewing to take my mind off things, sharing/reading through blogging is also very restorative.

Not having any particular ambition for cutting a new project, and not planning to take down the Christmas decorations until New Year's Day, yesterday I pulled out my orphan blocks drawer for vacation day play, as I had taken the 1/2 day off. 

Notice an oops in that yellow green block?  I passed by that set of blocks initially and worked on a leftover cross block from a quilt I made my son a few years ago. 


A few leftover setting triangles and a partial fat eighth joined the QUAG party. 


Very simple borders and the sandwich was called done.  Next I pulled some HSTs I had made in the wrong color combo or size for a quilt.  The green is a hand-dyed Ricky Tims fabric I'd hoarded since 2006!

I turned some of them into hourglass blocks, but thought the mini was too mini.  Luckily I found scraps of both fabrics in the scrap dresser!  Benefit of being a hoarder, I guess :)  2" strips were added to round out a design.  Some smaller HSTs got the same treatment and I quilted it up with batting scrap and a chunk of backing from the scrap basket. 


I fixed the wrong side up piece on the little cross blocks and the sandwich is ready to quilt.  Some leftover large blocks from a Guild project will make a lovely table runner. Someone else made those blocks.


Fat quarter scraps, and rummage through the bin on the cutting table produced all the backings.  It was so fun to play with no deadline.  I'll hunt through the leftover binding drawer for some options to finish these up.


We have had a LOT of rain in SoCal, but it has been light and steady over multiple days.  I took this pic of my Poinsettia on a rare clear day last week.  Happy New Year to everyone! 

6 comments:

loulee said...

Lots of lovely no pressure fun.
Wow, Poinsettia is a small houseplant here!!

Chantal said...

Happy New Year to you and yours, Annie. You made magic with those little leftovers blocks. Great job all around. My favourite is the first one with the 9-Patch. Your choice of colours is so lovely. Congrats. All the best for the New Year. ;^)

Joyful Quilter said...

Cute cute cute! Aren't little quilts like that fun. Hope you have a very Happy New Year.

Janet O. said...

What a fun play day you had. I would have probably spent the whole time trying to decide what to do. Kudos to you for all of your progress.
Oh, how cool would that be to have a poinsettia in your yard?? But I guess I would have to give up my white Christmas in order to have that. Hmmm...

Kate said...

Looks like you had fun and reduced the volume in your left overs bin too. What a great way to play in the sewing room. Love your poinsettia bush, I didn't know they could get that big! Glad you've had some rain this year, you could certainly use it.

Tanya said...

In Japan there is the tradition of having a "Forget the year" party when all the trials of the year can be wiped away. 2021 was a real year that we want to forget but unfortunately we couldn't even have Forget the Year parties!

Your orphan blocks box has so much cheer in it!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...