Monday, January 17, 2022

Design Wall Monday--Summer Breeze

Design Wall Monday--see more Design Walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

A lot of arm exercise these past couple of days while machine quilting the Summer Breeze quilt.  Pattern in Kim Brackett's Scrap Basket Surprises book.  All of her designs are based on 2.5" wide strips.


I stitched the seamlines between blocks and borders with the walking foot, then started quilting around the pinwheel blocks. I am so appreciative of the automatic presser foot lift on my Husqvarna machine when I have to make so many turns and stop/starts.

I could not figure out a way to continuously quilt all the seam lines in the pinwheel blocks, so did it differently in just about every one!  There are a lot of thread tails to deal with.  In the striped blocks, I decided to quilt a heart.  I did not have a quilting template but searched in my Valentine's decorations and found a perfect carboard one. It even matched the quilt's colors :)


I used a water-erasable pen to trace the heart.  After stitching around the first couple of hearts, I decided to add another line of stitching inside the heart to even out the quilting density.

 
Badly lit shot, but I just used the walking foot as my guide and didn't mark.  I'd say that's about 5/8" inside the first line of stitching.  As I moved up the rows from bottom to top, I discovered I had missed some of the ditch stitching of the rows and had to finish that up!  No harm done, and the layers didn't shift despite having no basting pins or basting spray.

The quilting is all finished.  I love all these repro 30's prints but the kittens in the blue dishes are the most adorable. 


The binding will get made and attached soon!  I'm thinking about what I want to put on the label, too.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Your Summer Breeze quilt is a dream in all those fabulous 30's fabrics. What's not to love about these fabrics?? Such a pretty pattern and you have done a fabulous job with the quilting.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

So, so sweet! Well done!

Kate said...

Congrats on an almost finish. It's a really fun quilt. Does this one stay with you?

Tanya said...

Really cute and a great pattern choice for the fabric you've used.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...