Friday, January 14, 2022

While the Quilt Rests

 After the Christmas break, returning to work was hard!  I haven't spent any time in the sewing room since last weekend, but was productive then.  The backing for the 30's prints quilt arrived.  It is so sweet and pretty. The line is Aunt Ella's Butterflies, as you can read :)


I tore the yardage in half and sewed it back together about 1" in from the selvedge edge, then trimmed off the bound selvedge. Were you taught the same way?


Layers were immediately assembled and smoothed. Does that step always take longer than you think, too?  Then I folded the quilt package loosely to rest and left it on the floor.  Knowing Mini, my cat, claims anything on the floor as HERS, I had to add some obstacles to keep her off it.


She wasn't in the room when I grabbed all these things from around the sewing room but I found her there minutes later.


...and it worked!  She was very close, but not ON the quilt. :)

Unfortunately, no quilting happened during the workweek.  I'll get to it tomorrow morning, unfolding the package and re-smoothing the layers before I start quilting with the walking foot.  I'll start with ditch stitching and see how much more than that the quilt needs.  I should be able to finish the quilting in a day and then make and attach the binding on Sunday.  I'd like to get this to my daughter next week, to give to her friend when she gets out of the cancer rehab facility.

3 comments:

Joyful Quilter said...

Mini is so sweet. Bella likes to run and dive or worse dig under quilts. She doesn't care if there are things on top. Did you spray baste the sandwich together?

Kate said...

You did find a very pretty backing fabric. Your technique for making a backing is new to me. Hope you get in lots of quilting time this weekend.

Tanya said...

Mini wants you to move your stuff off her quilt!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...