Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Vintage Fabric and Treasures

I have been meaning to get binding made for a quilt top that's been hanging around unfinished for some time.  I bought this vintage gingham piece I believe at the last local Guild show before the pandemic.  

I could tell it was vintage because it is actual woven gingham, is a full 45" wide, and has no selvage markings. Revisiting directions for cutting bias binding wasn't too tedious.  


The green gingham center was pieced by me from a kit I bought at Sewtopia Boston; that is not yardage!  I found the charming border at JoAnn's fabrics.  I think this will make a cute picnic quilt. 

Speaking of vintage, a quick trip through the local Goodwill Thrift Store today turned up some unusual finds. 

This vintage, rare dark red Bauer ringed bowl was on a cart and not yet shelved when I spotted it. 99cents!!!

It is not in perfect condition, it has a crack and the glazing is patchy there on the bottom, but it will be gorgeous as a display piece. I checked eBay for similar bowls and found one priced at $75.00!

A vintage souvenir also caught my eye on the Goodwill shelves.


An unopened souvenir from the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics was another "for pennies" purchase.  My parents and a cousin and I actually attended some Olympic rowing competitions locally at Lake Casitas in Ojai, in 1984.  I also have a poster from the 1984 Olympics.  


This hanger contraption came home with me.  I think it was 49 cents.  I'm wondering if it might work for hanging an embroidery piece, or I can choose from artwork I have. I had a great shopping day :)

2 comments:

Janet O. said...

Looks like you had a wonderful shopping day. But I am still just gobsmacked that the green "gingham" center was the product of your piecing. Wow--so precise. It still has me fooled, even though I know it is pieced! Great work.
And you really did make some good finds. :)

Kate said...

I'd forgotten that ginghams used to be actually woven and not printed. Congrats on finishing off another project from your UFO list.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...