Monday, April 11, 2022

Design Wall Monday--Gingham Quilt Finish

Design Wall Monday--See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog--always great variety to enjoy there. 

The Buffalo Check Gingham quilt that has been layered and waiting to be quilted for a couple of weeks finally got its turn over the weekend.  Walking foot quilting all the way!

Ditch stitching along all sides of the pieced squares. 


I was pleased that my pieced-from-stash backing did not get skewed too much so the quilting looks straight. 

For the borders, I drew/scored lines from the corners every two squares and again used the walking foot to do the quilting. The spacing is not the same at the top and bottom, as the quilt is a rectangle, but I am not too fussed about it. 


The vintage gingham fabric made into bias binding turned out great. I trimmed the quilt first and added the binding to the back so I could stitch it down from the front by machine. I had the hardest time joining the bias ends before doing that part!  It took me about 20 minutes and multiple ripping, measuring, and trials to get it right.


I'm calling this a picnic sized quilt.  Happy to have another finish to check off on the long list of WIPs :)  The Buffalo Check kit I bought at Sewtopia Boston in 2018, and the border fabric came from my local  JoAnn's Fabrics.  

4 comments:

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

What a fun picnic quilt!! :-)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love that color combo!!!

Churn Dash said...

Lovely colours, and I totally understand the good feeling in getting an old project across the finish line!

Helen

Janet O. said...

I love how this turned out. The border fabric is a cute touch, and your choice of binding is perfect.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...