Sunday, April 3, 2022

Slow Stitching Sunday--April 3

 Slow Sunday Stitching--see more great handwork on Kathy's Quilts blog.

I haven't been doing any slow stitching, as I can't make up my mind what I want to stitch yet--not a terrible problem to have :)   I showed some older cross-stitch pieces that I am going to add to the Bookshelf Quilt I am making for my niece, Emma. Adding a fabric frame was the job at hand.   I started with the cherries. I finished this one in April 2018 and finished it in the cheap plastic frame that came with the kit, which was black.  


I decided to use a narrow black border of fabric and then found a silver accented fat quarter in stash to use as a wider frame. 


The silver is a Carolyn Friedlander print I picked up at Sewtopia Orlando after her lecture.  I left the frame wide for finishing  width options in the bookshelf quilt. 

Next was a much older cross-stitch project of Southwest cacti. I chose one of the four different cacti and trimmed it to one inch past the stitching boundary.  Due to an over-enthusiastic trimming episode, I had a "design opportunity" for the fabric frame--hence the dotted squares in the corners. 

I like it!  I'll decide if I want to add another cacti later. I chose shelf fabric in a solid brown and the bookshelf  background is black, so the gray frame will hopefully show up well.  I can always add another narrow border in a contrasting fabric. 

From my stitching past, I used an old sampler to test the new-to-me hanger from the thrift shop.


This was the first cross-stitch I ever did--my Godmother gave a kit to me lo those many years ago.  I had the kit for years before stitching it in my late teens. It was mounted on a sticky board for decades, which I have removed.  Perhaps I will lace the piece onto something else, but I actually like it deconstructed too!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Sometimes it's hard to make up one's mind what to stitch next. I suppose we are spoilt for choice. All cross stitches are pretty. I especially love the last one. It does look rather fabulous "deconstructed" with the hanger. I must say, the cherries look great with the both the black fabric bordering it and the pretty Carolyn Friedlander print.

Jenny said...

Such pretty cross stitch pieces. It's not a craft I do, but I can certainly admire those who do such lovely work.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such pretty stitches that you have been working on and love how you framed them with fabric. Great hanger too.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...