Thursday, June 9, 2022

Log Cabin and Star Block Play

I had a small number of leftover blocks from the Log Cabin Loonies project recently sewn into a small top last month. A lot of star blocks remained from Barb's last swap (Fun with Barb)  a couple of years ago.  I laid them out together. Some of you may remember that the mailer I sent my swap blocks in had exploded en route to Barb, and a kind mailperson had forwarded them on to Barb, but too late to swap.  Barb very kindly sent my blocks back and HER swapped blocks.

My Log Cabin blocks finish at 7.5 inches, and if I have figured correctly--and skinny the seam allowance while sewing the 6" finished star blocks together--they should just come out even.  I really didn't want to scramble my brain trying to figure a spacer border between!  I like it set block to block anyway.  Grandson Hunter told me he liked my quilt and wanted to help sew it.  I told him this was too complicated, but I'll have him choose some big squares of other fabrics and we will sew them into a quilt. He was very excited about that. It would be a great summer activity.  


I made this mini quilt last weekend while Grant was golfing.  I think they were leftover charm pieces.  


Backing cut from a fat quarter and diamond quilting, with binding made from a long hoarded print. 


Cute on my mini quilt hanger.  So fun to play with small projects!


3 comments:

Janet O. said...

I like where you are taking the leftover cabin blocks and the swap stars. Somewhere I have a formula for figuring out spacers. I know it works—I’ve used it a couple of times, but it has been about a dozen years.
Love that sweet little mini—such soft, pretty colors, yet not so soft that they have faded to pastel.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Annie, what a great little quilt from left-over blocks. The blocks all play well together :-)

Tanya said...

The Log Cabin Loonies and Stars are going to turn into something wonderful!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...