Saturday, June 18, 2022

Sewing Room Update, Shopping, Quilting

The former family room I use as my sewing room got a much anticipated update. We recently ordered new blinds for most of the bedrooms, which we had put off doing until we finally replaced the single pane, builder grade original windows. For the sewing room however, we wanted to match the shutters we added years ago to the living room, for consistency.  I've had an inexpensive bamboo rollup shade covering the window for a long time.  


The shutter looks so nice and I love being able to control the light better than just an up or down shade.  Since we replaced the former picture window with an actual functional one, I can even catch a breeze :)  Having moved the the tall fat quarter dresser that used to be in the corner next to white desk, the room even looks bigger.  I spent some time at the sewing  machine today.


These tumbler placemats got quilted, simple walking foot with a specialty stitch from the sewing machine menu. I used a simple hack I saw on Instagram when I attached the binding I'd already made.


Sorry I can't give credit for the idea, but I was struck by the "duh, I should have thought of that" simplicity of using a binding clip to keep the quilt sandwich gathered up and out of the way while joining the binding ends.  Clever, right?


Bad nighttime shot! This print was leftover from a backing, as was the binding   A visit to Superbuzzy  today to spend my Mother's Day gift card resulted in a perusal of the clearance bolts for another quilt backing. 

The red cookies recipes print and brown geometric were a great match for the quilt I made last year during Meghan's (Then Came June) Meadowland quiltalong.  I got the Christmas fabric FQ bundle  (We Whisk You a Merry Christmas) as a prize at Sewtopia Seattle.  I'm trying to keep the quilt tops to finished quilt ratio a reasonable amount!  It would be fun to enter into this year's County Fair, which is coming up next month.  Hmmm....

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.  We're planning a BBQ with a number of dads--should be fun :)

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Hmm... I thought I'd commented before.... Sorry if this is a repeat. I just wanted to say how nicely the background fabric goes with the placemats. It makes them so fun!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...