Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Birthdays and Shopping, Sewing

Last of August, hard to believe the month has finally come to an end!  It is a very full one for our family, three birthdays, the last two celebrated together.  Our son and his son have birthdays a week apart, so they celebrated them together last weekend. Here's Dane with his sack, hunting for toy dinosaurs hidden around the yard, with his younger cousin watching with his other Grandma and Aunties. 


Mama hid a lot of toy dinos in the flowerbeds, there was even digging needed.  The boys all had a great time on the hunt. Pin the tail on the Dino, there in the background on the house, was popular as well.  


Here's Dane looking pensive before singing and cake being served.  I didn't get any photos of him smiling, but plenty of video.  Just after he got his mini bundt cake, he pretended to let a plastic dino toy take the first bite, so cute. 


And here's the adult birthday celebrator, Nick, hanging out with his nephews and sisters.  It was a fun party and great to be able to get together for pizza and cake, presents and family time. 

Daughter Elaine finally found a spot to squeeze me in for a haircut and color--much needed /overdue.  I went downtown early and did some thrift store shopping. I was sad to see that my favorite Salvation Army thrift store closed or moved, but there were plenty of other shops. Of course I always look for fabric and most of the shops did have some. One nicely packaged trio of cuts was $1.99 and I snapped it up. 


This Egyptian print was just over a yard of fabric, very nice quality and unwashed.


Being that well-aged, it is even 45" wide. I've never heard of this company, though.  The other two conversation prints were over two yards each. 


Asian tigers in a rich  print...


and Asian figures and flowers on the other.  These also appear never to have been washed.  They will make great backings.  

Some sewing did happen recently, more work on the bookshelf quilt. 


I decided to add more detail to the bookends I made a couple of weeks ago, aiming for a "brass" detail at the base.  I also grouped two books in a tilted block setting. 


Directions are from the Fabric at Work Bookshelf Quilt Pattern.  


I was happy with the way these turned out.  Lots more sewing to do and detail decisions to be made!  

3 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Dane is absolutely precious! I love the hidden dinosaur idea, great party theme. Your bookshelf quilt is clever and wonderful, this one will be a delight for the eyes when it's all assembled.

Janet O. said...

Looks like such fun family time. That is the best!! And the dino hunt sounds like a really clever idea for little ones.
Some really unique fabric finds. They will be handy for backings, if not to slip in here and there on the front of a quilt. The Egyptian one fascinates me.
Nice work on the bookshelf quilt.

Tanya said...

The dinosaur hunt is such a great idea!!! I wish I could do something like that for my grandson as he is a dinosaur fan tool. I'll pass along the idea to my daughter!

I notice so many places have closed down in my town too. I've been away from them 3 years too so everyone has been hard hit.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...