Monday, September 5, 2022

Design Wall Monday--Plaidish2 blocks

Design Wall Monday, this Labor Day Holiday--see more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

Happy Labor Day!  

I only needed two more of the A blocks for the Plaidish2 Quilt, and finished those up last night after languishing all day in our un-airconditioned house during a late summer heat wave---it got up to 102 degrees at my house and was triple-digit in most of California all day.  There was some slow stitching while sweltering, but the sewing machine stayed off until later in the evening when we could finally open the doors and windows to a cool breeze. 




White-on-white does not make for exciting updates!  I'm working on the area to the right of the center flower.. I like this needle-minder best as the legs hold my needle :) 


We had a lovely sunset with clouds and a breeze.  


Artsy-Fartsy try at reflected clouds in the half moon window with the half moon in the sky. 

Long after sunset and with the house cooler, I set to getting the Plaidish2 blocks sewn up.  I only needed a couple more of the large A blocks, and just a few of the B blocks as well.  


The Plaidish/Plaidish2 quilts are free patterns by Erica of  Kitchen Table Quilting.  The Plaidish2 pattern uses more mediums than any other value, so uses up a lot of scraps that most people have.   I decided to wait until I have the center completed before making the C block borders from my remaining mid-value scraps.  I have a lot of repeats in my fabrics and I think it may be easier that way to avoid  same fabrics touching.  If I need more variety, there are plenty of scraps to choose from around here!

My niece Hannah was gifted the first Plaidish Quilt I made last year.  


Another Plaidish Quilt will definitely be made, though I think I will use the designer's suggestion to choose a single fabric for the larger dark squares, as I don't have nearly as many darks in my stash! This pattern used up a lot of skinny strips from my precut scrap drawers, which was great.  Ok, off to sew!

5 comments:

Julierose said...

I love how you've put this together...neat pattern to use up scraps.
What pretty pictures of your house and i love that reflection one...really cool. hugs, Julierose

Janet O. said...

I feel so bad that you are enduring that heat with no AC!!
Your stitchery is really soft and pretty. And that is a great needle minder.
Love the softly colored cotton candy clouds.
Always love the Plaidish quilts. I will be interested to see your finished look if you do one with the same fabric for the dark squares.

Bonnie said...

I can remember major heat waves in Southern California including school closing for one when we lived in a Chula Vista. But I’m sorry you are sweltering. But you are making progress on several fronts. Thanks for the link to the plaidish pattern. I may give it a try one day.

cspoonquilt said...

That's a great pattern and obviously a real scrap buster! I'm gonna give it a try, one of these days...

Tanya said...

You're a good saleswoman for the pladish quilts. So beautiful!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...