Thursday, September 15, 2022

Scrappy Stitching, Sisters, and Weather

Scrappy is the current  mode in the sewing room.  I'm piecing the long rows of  Easy Breezy blocks (Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville leader-ender) in my chosen setting with a 3.5 x 6.5" spacer.  I ran out of 2" squares I was making into 4-patches, so went to my precut drawers to find something else.

I found a bunch of 1.5x2.5 rectangles and decided to make rectangular blocks.  I had lots of green pieces so played around and came up with this setting.  

These were fun to sew up--they were just finger-pressed so look a bit wonky.  Not sure what they will become yet! In case you are wondering--no, that is not the smallest scrap I save...

This scrapbooking drawer is loaded with color-sorted 1.5" and 2" strips and squares...


...with 1.5" squares as the smallest scraps.  I am not really a string quilt lover, so cut my scraps down pretty much as I go.  I was just thinking it might be fun to make a mini Jelly Roll Race quilt from all the 2" strips.  

We somehow survived all the horrible scorching hot weather that lasted for so many days last week in SoCal.  Temps were up to the high 90s at our house and there was damage to the landscape. Here's our poor avocado tree. 


It only got burnt in this one spot, luckily. 


The avocados themselves survived just fine.  
 

My daylily doesn't look too happy here!  Thankfully we have two room air conditioners to use, but due to the immense humidity up to 90% for multiple days due to the unusual west coast hurricane off Mexico, it was not pleasant to move around much at all.  Power flex alerts lasted for the whole week. I didn't mind the air-conditioning at work, for once!  I felt bad for all the kids out practicing sports, including our grandsons who are starting soccer again. 

Next on my list is figuring out what I want to take to Sewtopia, coming up in November.  My sister Kathy and sister-in-law Laura were here over  the hot hot weekend and we cut out all the pieces for Laura's project, Everbloom by Paper and Pen patterns, in a sweatshop manner we called Amish Day.  Kathy ironed the fabric and Laura and I got all the cutting done. This will be Laura's first Sewtopia and we wanted her to be able to start right in to sewing!  Luckly this year we will be able to drive to the event in Palm Springs and bring our own machines.  The travel to Florida last year was tiring!

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Poor avocado tree!

My daughter-in-law was telling us of the horrible heat they were having in Hemet. And they were dealing with the Fairview fire too! I hope October makes it easier for everyone.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...