Monday, January 9, 2023

Design Wall Monday--Scrappy Small Quilts

 Design Wall Monday--see more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

I played with little quilts all weekend! On Saturday my husband was picked up by our son to play golf in Ojai, so I had hours at home to myself.  I started with the the newest mini quilt I showed last time, first choosing a backing fabric from several options. 


A vintage yellow gingham, a small flower red print, and a plaid fat quarter were my top stash options. The HSTs were made from a vintage green print  from stash, and a mini charm pack of Cheeky by Urban Chiks that I probably got at Sewtopia.


It was a close race, but the plaid Denyse Schmidt won out, as it echoed the plaids in the mini. 


After hand stitching closed the stitch-and-turn opening, the faux binding technique  was the next concern--could I quilt around the edge and make my idea of  putting faux binding strips on the backing work? (technique found on the Crafti Staci website, for coasters). 


I was pretty pleased that the stitching mostly stayed where I wanted it, to create the binding look!  A few lines of ditch-stitching down the center and the quilt was finished. 


All done!  

The next mini quilt was also made from leftovers. 

The pinwheels were made from fabrics in the Greenpiece quilt kits from  the Fat Quarter Shop in 2009, I think!  I had saved all the fabric leftovers from the monthly kits and easily cobbled together a backing for the pinwheels.   The Greenpiece quilt top was finally finished in 2021, but still needs  a backing and to be sent out for custom quilting! 

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Looks like you used your "alone" time to great advantage. Love the first little quilt especially the backing fabric. Perfect choice.

Kate said...

Both minis are cute, but my favorite is the first one. Love all the green with the pops of red and yellow. Congrats on getting the most of a home alone day.

Janet O. said...

I loved this post about your mini making from leftovers--my favorite thing to do!
Two delightful little quilts from your alone time. Makes me wonder what is wrong with me--hubby was gone for 4 or 5 hours today, and other than doing dishes, and watering plants, I just sat and read a book.

Tanya said...

Isn't it satisfying to use up leftover pieces and blocks! Pretty finishes! Where will they be used?

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...