Monday, February 13, 2023

Design Wall Monday--Borders for Scrappy Squares Quilt

 Design Wall Monday--see more great projects on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

The latest squirrel project made of scrappy 3.5" squares had made it to about 35" square, but that isn't really big enough to be a useful quilt, to me..  

In my yardage bins I found a number of strips that were border cuttoffs from the Go Four It quilt top I put together last year. 


I wasn't too happy with the joins for these borders, but overall the quilt is so large and busy, I wasn't too fussed about it. For this smaller, quilt, however, I took more care with the joining. 


One of these strips has a pattern-matched seam.  It only took three tries to get it perfect :)


Originally I thought I would do a narrow border, but this brown print looked better cut wider, 3.5", same as the block size. 


I haven't decided how many little stars/churn dash blocks I will make, perhaps not the whole length of the top. I may end up with partial borders or cornerstones in this cheddar fabric.  Not very much of this is left either, but using up stash is certainly a necessity, as storage is at MAX !

4 comments:

Linda Enneking said...

I think your quilt from leftovers is going to be prettier than the original, which is also very nice. The cheddar border and stars on the corner really add a lot.

maggie fellow said...

ooo - i really like the little squares as a border

Kate said...

You've made good use of those cut offs. I like your mix of friendship stars and churn dash blocks. It will be a fun border either way you decide to go with those blocks.

Tanya said...

Wow! So pretty! Those little stars loolk like a lot of work but they'll be so worth it!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...