Sunday, February 12, 2023

Mini Blocks and Scenery

Winter in SoCal is mild, but it has been on the cold side, for us, with 60 degree days and lows in the 40s at night.  It's always a great time to sew, but feels even more appropriate to be making quilts. I've been making star blocks to add to the 3.5" scrappy squares quilt top.


These are 3.5" finished--I haven't worked on such tiny pieces in awhile, and they can be very fussy to get straight.  The bottom right one had a little nip and tuck surgery after this pic as the center cheddar sure didn't look square.  

The smallest Bloc-Loc tool is very helpful for the sliver trimming the little HSTs. Mostly I used 1.75" strips to make the pieces and trimmed them to 1.5". Churn Dash and Friendship stars have the same pieces so I am making some of both.  I will be adding a narrow stop border to the quilt top--maybe in cheddar, but more likely brown--and then will decide how many stars to use as an accent.

Speaking of accent, we had some snow on our Topa Topa mountains recently.  It didn't last long, but sure was pretty. 


Sure looked pretty!


I love winter sunsets too :)


2 comments:

Kate said...

Your friendship stars look great. I've just finished a batch of those at 3.5 inches, they are definitely harder to keep lined up and even.

Tanya said...

My daughter in law has been sending us photos of snow topped mountains too, and I think she even got snow at her job in Beaumont last week!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...