Monday, May 8, 2023

Bookshelf Quilt Nearly There

 Design Wall Monday--See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

The long journey of the Bookshelf Quilt for my niece Emma is getting pretty darn close to a end. I have finished quilting all the bookshelf items and am now working on the bottom drawers.    

The above photo was from 5/4/2023 when I had two sections of books to finish...


The above pic was taken 5/6/2023 when I completed stitching around all the shelf section books/items. That was a lot of arm exercise!


And here is Sunday's work; I made the hexagon pulls and quilted some details on the first drawer front, then appliqued the pulls with a narrow zig-zag.  Simple outlining to finish that drawer off.  After I finish the second drawer the same way, my plan is to trim the quilt and attach a black binding (still to be made!), before adding some stippling to the black background portions of the shelves.  I don't want them to get puffy when the quilt is washed.  There is a lot of lint on the quilt from the batting, so I will need to remove that with the lint roller before stippling the black. The outer border will need some  quilting too. Can't forget also some additional SITD on the crown of the bookshelf. It sounds like a lot left to do, but there is so much more behind me!  My niece has been patiently waiting a couple of years for her quilt to be finished. I'm hoping to send it to AZ with my brother his next trip out here. 

5 comments:

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

This is an awesome quilt and I'm sure she will cherish it forever!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely quilt, I love the details!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What cool details on this quilt!!!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I have always admired these quilts, bought a Bookshelf Quilt book some years back but still never attempted one. This one is exceptional, I adore all of the precious details; what a cherished keepsake this will be! Well done, Annie!

Kate said...

The quilting looks great! You've made good progress even with it being slow going. Hope you get a chance to work on it some this weekend.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...