Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Bookshelf Quilting Started

Well, I didn't mean to disappear for so long a stretch--however there was not much going on in the sewing room to report, until last weekend.  I did finally make myself get started on the quilting of the bookshelf quilt for my niece, Emma.  This project is getting a lot closer to being a "real quilt" at last. 

I started by quilting in the ditch with black thread along the vertical center support of the bookshelf, and then inside the horizontal shelves, the base, crown, and outer edges, using the walking foot. That took quite a while and my arms got tired with shoving the quilt back and forth through the machine's harp.

The middle shelf took more time, stitching in the ditch around all the books and the easel.  I added quilting around the inner yellow border of the cherry embroidery, the black border, and the the top edge of the green outer frame.   Then I concentrated on the top right shelf--which was fairly easy.  There is a lot of lint on the black background fabric from the batting; a sticky roller removes it as I go.  

Two sections done--six to go...Lots more to do, but I am happy that it has finally reached this stage!  There are quilting decisions to be made regarding the bottom section's drawers, and I need to make and attach the knobs.  So far, I am pleased with the way it looks. It would be great to be at the binding stage by the end of the week...

2 comments:

Kate said...

You made good progress on the quilting. This is such a fun quilt.

Tanya said...

Moving towards a finish is very exciting!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...