Monday, June 12, 2023

Design Wall Monday--Fixing Meadowland

 Design Wall Monday--see more great quilty things on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

A  problem quilt has been hogging space in the sewing room for months--my Christmas print version of Then Came June's Meadowland quilt.  In December I had done some free motion quilting of motifs with freezer paper, and then attempted a candy cane in the rectangles along the edges of the quilt, which bombed.  The quilt was in time out and taking up space since then.  I finally got sick of looking at it and revisited the issues. The main one was that I had a LOT of threads to bury. 


This pic is before I had blotted away most of the blue marking pen.  


It took quite a lot of time to get all those thread tails buried! After inspecting the quilt post a rinse and dry, I opted to leave the corners and side rectangles unquilted. 

If I change my mind, something can always be added.  I have a few missed spots catching  the binding to mend too. The project box turned out to have extra block pieces I didn't remember were there.


The corner squares were neutral in the quilt pattern (I changed them to one big square for my quilt construction row style), but for this single block I cut squares of leftover We Whisk You a Merry Christmas prints.  Such a fun fabric line.  I won the stack of fat quarters at Sewtopia a few years ago. 


There are also a lot of leftovers from the other fat quarters in this line to play with later.  Glad to have another Christmas quilt to enjoy next season. 

3 comments:

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Hurray for tackling fixing your Meadowland quilt. It's beautiful!

Kate said...

A very fun finish. It always feels so good to get one of the those time out quilts out of the corner and finished.

Nann said...

A great rescue! Now it's no longer taking up physical space or mental space. And thanks for reminding me about the block/design.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...