Monday, July 17, 2023

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

Design Wall Monday--see more great design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

Well, didn't mean to disappear for so many days!  I've been busy working on projects to enter into our County Fair. Only a couple more days before all entries need to be finalized online. 


I got all the quilting done on this large throw made from long-ago leftovers from another quilt. I abandoned something fancy for the purple/green blocks and kept it simple with a crosshatch. 


Our Nieces crocheted some adorable chickens--and stuffed them, embroidered the mouth and eyes, all while traveling from Riverside County in busy summer weekend traffic while their Dad drove.  I named mine Thimble and she is my new sewing room mascot.  I posed her on the doll quilt just quilted. 


I pulled several repro options before settling on the medium green print--the scale felt right.  I'll hand stitch the binding--it is too tiny to try to machine sew.  Another Fair entry project is nearly done. 


I did simple crosshatching every 2 inches for the quilting.  Sunday I made bias binding and had a heck of a time getting the last join done!  About five tries and ripping later, but finally ready to stitch down by machine, most likely. 


The simple lapped backing has recipes.  I'll end up with "okies and ingerbread" by the time the binding is on, haha. 

On my mind is the end of Picasa, which I have used all these years for the blog.  Google lets you make a copy of your album archive and save it to "Takeout", whatever that is!  Our computer is very old and I don't even know I can save the copy there or if I will have to store it somewhere else.  I only have three days left to solve this issue!  Google Photos is not like Picasa and there will be a learning curve.  If anyone has any helpful hints on this issue, I would be most happy to hear them!

4 comments:

Janet O. said...

I disappeared for over a month. I don't know if anyone will notice if I come back. It has been a very crazy summer!
Your large throw looks good--doesn't need more quilting than that.
Thimble looks very sweet on that cute doll quilt.
How maddening to have to redo the join on the binding so many times. Unlike you, I may have given up.
Having never used Picasa (that I know of), I have no input on the switch over. Sometimes it gets really frustrating to have to keep making changes to continue blogging.

Kate said...

You've got some great entries for the fair. Fingers crossed they all do well. I'm no help with the photo apps, I've kept mine on my hard drive for years.

Tanya said...

Love the crocheted chickie! Good luck with your entries in the fair.
I miss Picasa too. I switched to Google photos but it only goes so far and it never helps much with photos on my computer. On my iPhone yes. It doesn't do collages though and I really need that for the New Year's cards I make ONCE A YEAR. I can't remember from year to year how to do it anymore. I think when Picasa went away I sort of stopped taking photos with my fancy camera completely. It was just so much easier to snap a photo on my phone and it would automatically get stored. Now if I take a camera photo without Picasa I have to figure out where to store it, to combine folders by hand and I can't really edit anything. So frustrating!

Chookyblue...... said...

Maybe I've left it to late..... Forgot about that email.....
I loved Picasa..... It was so easy to use.....

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...