Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Chugging Along

Although I really like my Husqvarna sewing machine and it has done for me very well for the past 11 years, it has some technical flaws that make quilting difficult at times.  A small throat/harp opening is one, and the other is the walking foot guide.

There are right and left stitching guides that slide into the back of the walking foot but they simply ride in a slot there and are not able to be fixed in position.  While this makes them easily adjustable, it is also almost impossible to avoid nudging the guide while repositioning the quilt.  This flaw means the distance one is trying to set for the next row of stitching constantly needs to be rechecked.  After struggling with the guides for several rows, I switched to the painter's tape method.  Much better!

I've taken to keeping my Supreme Slider on the sewing surface even when not free motion quilting.  It does seem to make whatever is being sewn move along nicely.

Luckily the tension has been no problem so my stitching did not look like this jet trail!

6 comments:

Darlene said...

I have the same issues with the guide on my sewing machine so I use painter's tape, too. Works nicely.

I love the way you're quilting this one. The wavy lines are a fabulous choice.

Janet O. said...

I have to admit I have never used a seam guide.
Do you think your Slider makes a big difference in the ease of your quilting? I have considered getting one.

Candace said...

Great idea, Annie! As much as I love my Bernina, there are many times I wish I had kept my Husqvarna - it was just such a sweet little machine!
Cheers!

Denise :) said...

Hahaha! Great capture and analogy with the jet trail! I *have* had stitching that ended up looking exactly like that!! :)

Kate said...

The quilting looks great.

Tanya said...

I have that Supreme Slider too and it is very nice... But I've had it bunch up under my quilt (pulled the quilt too strongly) and sewn a whole row through it! I was devastated the first time I did it but it seems to still let things slide. Now it has numerous "tracks" across it.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...