On my design surface today is a commissioned quilt in progress. I'm making a Winding Ways quilt for a friend's sister and brother in law's 50th wedding anniversary.
It's going to be mostly a two color quilt like this one on the APQ magazine cover (February 2013). This pattern and article covers use of the Accuquilt GO! Cutter Winding Ways die and using Layer Cake precuts. Maybe that is why the directions for this 80" square quilt give a mind-boggling yardage amount for the front of the quilt--6 1/4 years EACH of assorted cream and blue prints. Excuse me, but I think 12 1/2 yards of fabric is a bit much for the front of a quilt!
Using the die cutter, I got enough pieces for 30 block centers for the positive blocks, and 30 block pieces for the negative blocks. This was from six cuts of fabric 5/8 of a yard, which is less than four yards total, even with cutting a 2 1/2" binding strip from each print, and fabric waste from the die cutter. I did underestimate how many blocks I need to make for the 9x10 layout I plan (8" blocks), so need about two more 5/8 yard cuts. That is still over a yard less than 6 1/4 yards estimated just for the blocks and not including the binding. I realize they give an overage but it seems way over! Next I'll cut all the cream fabric with the same die. Sure does shorten by many hours the work to get these shapes for the blocks.