These last months of the year are speedy, aren't they? Here I am, catching up after a long break again, my apologies! But busy I have been. In the quilty department, there is this:
The Modern Quilt Guild I'm now a member of has monthly meetings. There are a great group of ladies and several men in our growing guild. A couple of months ago there was a challenge where members signed up to swap a shoebox full of scraps and make a quilt out of the scraps--keeping the modern aesthetic in mind. I was very lucky and my name was drawn to swap with one of the finest and most prolific quilters. However, that was a bit intimidating and I pondered, made a board on Pinterest, pawed/sorted the scraps, and scrolled through many of my quilt show photos but still could not come up with anything striking, until, of course, the rapidly approaching deadline. The funny thing is that one of the photos I happened upon late and thought, "oh that would be a great idea", turned out to be of one of HER quilts at the County Fair in 2013! (here it is---note the Blue Ribbon)
It was a good jog of inspiration, however, and off I went.
In the box were a lot of solid strips and chunks, and a lot of prints. I decided to separate them and make a two-sided tablerunner. I played around with pencil and paper and came up with these banded pairs of solids. We were allowed to add one fabric; I added the green Kona solid in Tarragon, as my swap partner Kathy told me she liked sage green. I actually took a scrap from the box and matched it.
I thought making the banding in black and white would help unify the design. I think it did.
The alternate blocks got random triangles, mostly in the neutral scraps. The hardest part of this was getting the triangles on the corners, oddly enough. Then, for the prints, I decided to unify them with one shape and started cutting tumblers.
While my pencil and paper idea included a lot more open space, it didn't turn out that way when I laid out the cut tumblers. I loved all her modern prints and wanted to use as many as I could, weaving in the background color, in a sort of color progression.
Very simple machine quilting and binding. Originally I was only going to use the green for the binding but at the last minute I threw in the black and white print around one corner. The binding got put on the morning of the deadline!
My co-worker held it up for me during a quick photo break.
Back view. Finished size was about 21x50.
I was so excited to see if Kathy liked the tablerunner that I nearly forgot I was getting something back. The first two pairs of swappers had fantastic ideas and some made multiple items from the scrap boxes. Then it was our turn. I showed Kathy what I did with her scraps first and was pleased that she really liked what I came up with. Then she revealed what she did with mine:
I had by this time completely forgotten what was in the box of scraps I submitted. Kathy took all the Asian prints and chunks and made a HUGE bag--probably 24x30". She and her husband have been bringing similar bags to the Guild meetings that hold quilts to share and projects they are working on. These have been much admired by all, including me (excuse the lighting making pics way too yellowed).
The bag is completely lined and has a giant pocket inside. Kathy even added some hand stitching around the handle opening and on the inside pocket. The blue fabric surrounding the rectangles is what fabric she added. She also made me a small bucket from other scraps, which I neglected to take a photo of, but now lives on my ironing board. We both agreed it was a fun challenge for making your brain work, and I'm sure a lot of members were kicking themselves for not participating. I can't wait to use the bag for the next guild meeting :)
Since my last post, I have been able to keep up my early morning sewing for a number of days. It really is nice to get some stitching in before going to work, and inspires me to get back to the sewing room at night, too. There is certainly enough that needs to be done in there. I'm working away on the Winding Ways commission quilt and hope to be sewing the top together before too long. It is a challenge of another kind!