Sunday, December 18, 2016

UFO Challenge 2017

Years ago I participated in Judy's UFO Challenge, whereby a list is made of 12 unfinished projects and she randomly picks a number each month to be worked on.  I have no shortage of UFOs of all types, some of which never made it off the list since the last challenge years ago!  So I have gathered my list and am looking forward to being intimate with fabric and thread and plans.  Here they are, in no particular order. 

1.  80s Star Medallion rescue: 


This star was pieced by my former boss's now former spouse, probably back in the late 80s; he gave it to me with a lot of other discarded sewing stuff some years ago. I cut off wide expanses of the blue print and added the pieced borders and haven't touched it since April 2015.  It needs backing, quilting, and binding.  However, I don't think I'll give it back to the former spouse--maybe I'll donate it to QOV.!

2.  Sue Goes to the Orient Wallhanging:

Poor Sue has been waiting for an outfit for the past two years, but these leftover HSTs have been around for about 10 years.  I need to select the fabrics for the applique and buttonhole stitch on, sew the borders on, choose a backing, then quilt and bind.  I last blogged about this project in May 2014.

3.  Improv Log Cabin:

I made the first row of blocks (on the left edge) in a class at QuiltCon 2016 with Heather Jones.  I passed off my row to my fellow Row Robin participants at our modern quilt guild and got back this very interesting finish.  I need to decide if I want to add another row of Improv Log Cabin blocks to lengthen the quilt (it is sideways in the pic); it will then need backing, quilting, and binding.  

4  Greenpiece Quilt Kit:

My dear husband bought me this block of the month in 2009, and there were four blocks per month--but that was the year I had 3 part time jobs so most of the kits were set aside.  I have all the pieced blocks done, the pieced inner border, and close to 1/2 of the wool applique blocks complete. My goal is to  finish all the wool applique blocks and the center medallion applique.  If massive progress is made, I'll trim all the applique blocks to size and frame the center tree.  Taking some stitches on my lunch break should help speed things up. Someday I want this beautiful quilt to hang in our bedroom.

5.  Quick Curve Metro Twist Quilt: 


One of our guild challenges last year was to use a neon color. I chose this orange and planned a small wallhanging using the Metro Twist pattern and the Quick Curve Ruler.  It was my UFO for guild this year but obviously never made it to the finish line. I have many pieces cut and need to finish the blocks, assemble the top, then the backing, quilting and binding.  

6. Pinwheel Garden Quilt: 
I cannot locate a picture of the finished quilt top, but it and an accompanying finished backing are hanging in the closet.  My plan is to quilt the center and then add some interest inspired by this quilt border seen at a local quilt show in 2013:

I liked the way it implied a stem without making one.  I have the greens set aside but need to play with size of leaf and layout and determine how many I need for the borders, cut, applique, then bind the finished quilt. 

7.  Send another quilt out for quilting, then bind.  I have several tops hanging in the closet that I plan to send out to be professionally quilted.  That means prepping the top, making a backing and binding, getting it delivered and selecting designs.  

8.  Houndstooth charity quilts:
I have two tops to complete for philanthropy for our guild.  One has all the blocks made and just needs assembly.  The other is cut and some blocks sewn.   I want to pass these on soon for someone to quilt and bind. 

9.  Flying Geese Baby Quilt:

Needs backing, quilting, and binding.  

10.  Round Robin Star wallhanging:
My quilt from guild Round Robin of 2015 needs to be finished.  Need to decide if it needs additional borders, then make a backing, quilt and bind. 

11.  Projects in Boxes: 




These four projects have languished far too long in boxes.  Two are from Kim Brackett's Scrap Basket Surprises book, one is a Moda Bake Shop pattern by Jo Kramer, and the last is a free pattern insert from a magazine that will use Aussie fabrics I purchased on my trip to Australia in 2009. They all have 2.5" strips in the design and my Accuquilt GO cutter will make quick work of that part of the job.  I love piecing!

12.  Cocoa Baskets: 

I finished this top in July 2016 but it too had languished in a box for years.  It needs backing, quilting, and binding.  I can't wait to hang this one up in the house too.

I'm going to enjoy concentrating on one project finish a month and will post my progress. Thanks, Judy!

5 comments:

Janet O. said...

Since I have no plan at all, I like reading what others are planning. Makes me feel closer to being organized than I really am. : )
Many great projects--Green Piece is gorgeous, but your humble basket quilt at the end really speaks to me!

Kathy S. said...

Gorgeous projects on your to-do list! Wishing you a productive 2017. Consider me a new follower. Your quilts are definitely works of art!

Kate said...

You've got a great list of projects. Good luck with your 2017 quilting plan.

Vireya said...

Lots of interesting projects on your list. It will be fun to see how many we all get finished with Judy's help in 2017!

Jennifer said...

looks like a great list! I also have some UFOs left over from when judy hosted in 2011/2012. (can you even believe it's that long ago?!) I'm sure this will be our year to get things done...

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...