Saturday, March 2, 2019

Three for March--Go Four It Layout

 Three for March--working on one quilt UFO for three days at a time, all month.

I spent several hours with the Go Four It pieces and parts yesterday--I have only a design floor, so got lots of exercise crawling around, with intermittent jaunts to the cutting table for more setting squares.  The setting square fabric is a Jan Patek fabric called Hawthorne Ridge. 


Here is half the quilt top laid out.  I was happy with the setting fabric as the print looks fine turned any which way without particularly forming a secondary pattern.  The blocks are busy enough by themselves.

And here is the whole top--minus the edge setting squares.  Bonnie Hunter fans may notice I used her Daybreak quilt setting for my four patch arrangement, grouping five square in square blocks.  Funny that she is just teaching this quilt! She used a pretty warm solid blue for the background and then sashed with neutral string borders and four patch cornerstones.  My layout eliminates the thousand tiny setting squares and sashing, and I alternated the dark and light centers/outer squares. 

Next I'll use Bonnie's Essential Triangle Tool for my side triangles and corner triangles.  I will have to cut a couple of sample sizes to see which fits best, MATH not being my strong point.  My finished block size is 3" for the square in squares which by Bonnie's helpful online guide means a 5.5" setting triangle.  It may be that I end up cutting larger squares and slicing diagonally twice, but I'd rather not!  Especially since I have limited fabric, only about a yard and a half left of the setting fabric. 

3 comments:

Janet O. said...

Look at you go!
I think I would get this layout all mixed up if I was trying to do it. I am impressed that you have figured it all out and it looks like it all fits together well.

Loris said...

Drooling on the keyboard here :-) This is so inspiring!

Kate said...

Wow you work fast! The layout looks great. Setting triangles strain my math skills too, I always have to refer to my notes on how to calculate those things.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...