Thursday, June 4, 2020

Stitching and Sorrowing

Stitching is a creative calm in the storm that is our reality in 2020.   Summer Sampler by Lizzie Kate is under my needle now.


Harrowing news stories of oppression and violence outlining the racism that has always underlain the American society we live in.  The county I was born to and live in has a lot of people of color, but not many of them are Black.  I was not raised to fear or hate any people, we have taught our children not to fear or hate any people based on their color.  The few black co-workers I've had over the years I hope saw my interactions with them as completely regular.  Six years ago, while working a different job, I made a friend on my bus commute who happened to be a Black man; we spent our daily hour on the bus talking and sharing our families and lives, and I miss that.  He had three children, two were teenage boys at that time.  I stand with those protesting and desire equal treatment by law enforcement.  I will say a few of their names, among the many whose lives were taken: George Floyd. Breonna Taylor. Tony McDade. Dion Johnson. Eric Garner. Ariane McCree.

I completely disagree with the president encouraging force and "domination" over people who are protesting unfair oppression by police.  Black Lives Matter.   I am a privileged white woman who values diversity and inclusion and people of color in all walks of life.  We are all human beings. Let us treat our fellow humans with respect and recognition of their rights, the most basic of all being LIFE.
 

7 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Wow Annie... that is so beautifully written! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this today.

Janet said...

❤❤❤

Janet O. said...

So well said, Annie!

Janet said...

Barb said...

well said and Amen

Kate said...

Very well said!

Tanya said...

So right! Thank you.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...