Monday, June 7, 2021

Design Wall Monday--June 7

 Design Wall Monday is here.  See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

My sewing room having no closet, the Hoosier cabinet stands in for storage.  While looking for something to piece, I pulled out numerous boxes with aging projects.  A blast of stitching ensued to move them along to the next stage. 


I sewed together these leftovers set aside from a quilt I made almost 10 years ago for our daughter and now son-in-law. It is now a good sized runner and will be backed with the rust print. I expanded a quilt featured in the Winter 2010 Quilts and More magazine called Natural Beauty, for the wedding quilt, so had lots of leftovers.  Time for them to move on.


Binding was made from the multicolor leftover batik fabric too. There was another baggie with this small runner I made from bonus triangles from two different quilts--I had recently even cut a black and white piece of yardage to add, and the binding pieces.  These got sewn up quickly into a top. 



Then I pulled out the box of finished blocks for my version of Bonnie Hunter's My Blue Heaven quilt.  I had taken a class from her through another local quilt guild three years ago.  The pattern is free on her Quiltville website.   All the blocks having been completed, it was time to layout my two color version I'm calling My Lupine Heaven...not that it rained enough this past Winter or Spring in SoCal for us to actually see any local lupine!  The block with the blue paper in the middle was the sample block I completed in the class.  

Mini helped, as usual.  Oh my, these are very busy blocks--but I do love the two color families together. There will be a neutral border and then a final border of green hourglass blocks.  I've sewn a couple of rows together so far and the rest are stacked and numbered. 


My version is fewer blocks than Bonnie's.  It will be a large lap quilt size at about 54x70.  I'll need a lot of batting to get all these quilts finished!

5 comments:

Sherrill said...

Love your lupines (quilt, that is)!! If we had lupines, there definitely would've been enough rain here to bring em out! UGH Today another 1 1/2" with more to come. It's nuts! Mini's always so cute posing with the quilts.

loulee said...

A flurry of progress. I love the batik project.

Janet O. said...

You are very creative with your leftover parts.
I really like your "My Lupine Heaven"! Purple and green is a favorite combo of mine and I have made several quilts that way over the years. Yours really sparkles with the variety of scraps.
Mini is so good to help hold down that one block. It looks like it was ready to float away. :)

Tanya said...

Love your Lupine Heaven! You're right, the colors work wonderfully together.

Kate said...

Yeah for using up those odds and ends, then moving them along the path to finished. Lupine Heaven is beautiful. Happy stitching this week!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...