Monday, August 23, 2021

Design Wall Monday--Double Plus and Lupine Heaven

This Design Wall Monday I have three finished tops to show.  See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

The two-sided quilt with a deadline is moving along. Double the Plus is an Emily Dennis pattern. 

I had to move my sewing desk, lamp and chair out of the way to get this large throw size laid out.  I used spray baste on this part of the sandwiching, after doing a lot of cleanup of loose threads on the back--the white fabric frayed more easily than the grey. 

I'm hoping not too lose too much of the border when I have to even up the outer edge.  I tried hard to make all the sides match of this two sided monster!  That was a lot of pinning. Daughter Erica wanted  simple diagonal quilting  I decided to quilt through the crosses diagonally both ways. That should be plenty of stitching to hold it together.  

Ready to wrestle this monster through my domestic sewing machine!  I'll have sore arms by the end of this job for sure.  The binding has already been made and will be attached by machine.  I have until Thursday night to get this done before Erica and her boyfriend, who is the best man at the wedding, head up to Carmel. Wish me luck!

The other finished quilt top is my version of Bonnie Hunter's My Blue Heaven pattern (free pattern on Quiltville.com).  I took a class from her in 2017 with the Camarillo Quilt Guild and finally have a finished top.  When last seen, I was debating about the outer border hourglass blocks, to which I had added a lot of teal/aqua pieces and wasn't sure I liked them.  However, I had decided to finish the borders in progress and once I did, there was no turning back.  

Pardon my toes :)  Some of my favorite blocks are in this pic.  

The teal is less distracting, I think, now that it completely surrounds the center.  I'm happy with the finished top and glad it didn't get abandoned after all that cutting and sewing.  My Lupine Heaven is my version's name.  Hopefully it will rain sometime in California again and these greens and purples will return in Spring.  

4 comments:

loulee said...

You are right, the teal has settled in now that there is a little more of it.
The plus quilt is looking good. I can feel my shoulders and back aching just thinking about wrestling with it.

Sherrill said...

Yep, I had to take a second look to see the teal! It's beautiful and I know how great it feels to finish an oldie. Good luck finishing that big quilt; it's so pretty and you are a great mom to do that. We ran into some of the west coast smoke while in Yellowstone and the Tetons. Hope you get your rain soon.

Kate said...

The Double Plus quilt is coming along beautifully. Hope you weren't too sore after finishing the quilting. I really hate sewing to a deadline. Hope you were able to get it all finished up with time to spare. Your Lupine Heaven turned out beautifully. The teal is well spaced in the border, so it doesn't detract. Congrats on all the progress the last few weeks.

Tanya said...

Both your quilts are coming along so nicely! I love the gray side of your Double Plus quilt. And Lupine Heaven is wonderful and if you don't mention the teal in the borders, no one will even notice a difference in color tone as it does pull everything together from the outside!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...