Monday, December 12, 2022

Design Wall Monday--Mug Mat Pallooza

 Design Wall Monday---see more great projects on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

I was scrolling on Pinterest recently for quick gift projects and came across a Coaster pattern by Crafty Staci.  This was for a small mug mag with a faux binding technique.  I've made other projects by this designer/crafter and like her easy directions and tips for her projects. Though she made hers with 2 1/4" squares, I wanted to utilize  2 1/2" charm packs I've acquired, mostly through gift baskets, etc.  I also wanted to upsize the size to a snack mat size. 

I decided to use 9 squares for each mat. 

What fun I had laying all these out and playing with color.  Easy row sewing for assembly.  The pattern calls for 1" wide strips all around; this forms the "binding" when the mat is assembled and ditch quilted. 

Initially I was pulling 1.5" strips from my scrap drawer system to trim down for the narrow borders, but switched to 2" strips for more mileage out of each strip length, since they could be sliced in half lengthwise for the 1" wide border pieces. Lots of backing squares were also cut from scraps and fat quarters.  I sewed up the first couple of mats...

The mats have batting as well as Insulbrite per the instructions, so are pretty thick.  I left the top right mat unquilted except for the faux binding, and on the black/gray/white one I added quilting just around the  center square.  Many of the mats are intended for my workmates. I did want to try the 4 patch size too, and used Christmas charms.  There is a little hand sewing closing the opening after assembling and turning the right side out, but otherwise lots of fun piecing. I've also sewn together  some of the remaining Christmas charms for a larger hot pad.  I'll cut up all the Insulbrite I have on hand to finish all these, no doubt!

5 comments:

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

It's been a while since I've made some mug rugs or hot pads. I've made a note to myself to get out my scraps and maybe sew some together. Yours turned out quite well. Happy quilting! -Andrea

Janet O. said...

Wow, the title of this post was no exaggeration. You made a lot of mats! I stare at all that and wonder if I would get past making one. Still looking for my mojo, but kudos to you for getting all of these made. I'm impressed.

Kate said...

What a great way to use up those charms! You've got some great holiday gifts to share now.

Judy Hansen said...

Nice mug rugs, and I too, like the larger size. I sometimes have a cup of coffee with a small plate with a snack, and the larger size would be great. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Mondays, hugs, Judy

Tanya said...

Great idea. I was just trying to think of a way to teach a beginner quilter how to make a small quilt without having to confuse her with binding... I'll give this a try!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...